Mungo Scott Building
The Mungo Scott building is part of a former Flour Mill complex in Summer Hill that was used for flour milling and distribution, both locally and internationally, until the 1980’s.The Mill and Warehouse buildings were constructed in the 1920’s and are rare survivors of their type in the Sydney region. The Mungo Scott building is also a prominent visual landmark in the local area due to its distinctive silhouette and position adjacent to the rail corridor.
Working closely with EG Funds Management and Richard Crookes Constructions, EJE documented the redevelopment of the building for commercial office and retail space. The prominent location of the site, its proximity to new housing in the area, and its access to the newly opened light rail makes commercial use appropriate. This use would complement new residential developments in the area, enable public access to the building, and retain the large open spaces that characterise the interior.
External works to the building included a new roof, repair of existing windows and brickwork, and introduction of glazing within existing openings at ground level to enable retail uses. The internal upgrade repaired and replaced floors, and introduced new staircases, but retained the industrial character of the timber framing and skylight roof profile. Wher