Catholic Diocese Newcastle032_edited.jpg

Paymasters Cafe

Newcastle, NSW

Originally built in 1879 as a single storey Berthing-masters cottage, a second storey addition, circa 1904, was added when the building became the Booking Office. Later it was used as the Paymasters Office to pay rail workers in cash counted out. The building was vacated in 1981. After the 1989 Newcastle earthquake, EJE Architecture was engaged to restore and convert the former Paymasters Office to a boutique restaurant, retaining as much of its original fabric and integrating a commercial kitchen to serve restaurant patrons in an historic setting.