Catholic Diocese Newcastle032_edited.jpg

Stationmasters Residence

Newcastle, NSW

The building was originally built in 1885 as the Newcastle Railways Traffic Controllers residence. It later became the home of the Newcastle Railway Station’s Station Masters.

Prior to its restoration by EJE Architecture in 1993 the residence had stood vacant for 25 years and became the dilapidated icon of inactivity which marred Newcastle for many years. Unfortunately, in its dilapidated state it became Newcastle’s most popular pigeon loft and the scene of one of Newcastle’s most infamous murders.

Since restoration led by EJE Architecture it has become one of Newcastle’s prized heritage buildings displaying that fine detail of Victorian Gothic architecture.